Tuesday, June 7

Beginnings...

I want to write a quick note to let you know that I arrived safe and sound in Brazil this afternoon with all my luggage! And what a God thing that was!! I arrived in Atlanta early (which is what I prayed for!) but our plane sat on the runway waiting for an open gate for 30 minutes! By the time we were re-routed to another gate I had 20 minutes to catch my international flight. I must admit that I had tremendous doubt (which I've already confessed and asked forgiveness for). I ran to the train...and then I ran to my gate...thankful that it was only a few gates away from the train. And I made it! Still I doubted that my luggage would be able to follow....until we sat on that plane for an hour due to the fact that they were searching for a missing bag on our airplane. I arrived in Rio de Janeiro to find that ALL my luggage had arrived with me! That should not have happened!! Silently I built an altar in my heart thanking God for, once again, reminding me that it is HE who is in control on this journey.

I was fine emotionally the entire trip until we landed in Porto Alegre and the magnitude of what I was doing hit me like a ton of bricks. But it was good to be met by a very happy group of Brazilians and Americans. The whole process continues to be a bit overwhelming but it is so good to be here!

For the time being, I'll be staying with Lucas and Teresa Bair, my American missionary friends and partners for a couple reasons. 1) Because my apartment is not quite ready yet; and, 2) we both agree that it is a better way for me to transition than to be dropped off alone at my new apartment. I'm grateful for their sacrifice and hospitality and friendship!

Tonight we hit the ground running! After arriving we headed back to their house and showered, had some coffee and left for a birthday party. We are just now home. It's been a full day....and emotional day....but a good day. I continue to marvel at God's faithfulness and provision. And His desire to use someone like me in this place. As we landed in Porto Alegre my heart was burdened in a deeper way for this city and this country. I pray that through me He can show His love to these people and together we can see Revelation 7:9 become a reality.

Thank you for your prayers...please keep them coming!!

2 comments:

Angie Madrid said...

Danielle says: "I miss you already, I can't wait to skype you, I really miss you and I want to talk to you. How long till you come back? I want to see you soon! I hope you have a great time in Brazil. Please answer my questions soon...and ummmmm...after you figure out when you'll be back...ummm...please figure out how old I'll be because I want to know how long I have to wait. I love you!"

ps. I love you, too :) Ang

Unknown said...

Amy! I didn't realize you left already! What you're doing is so awesome and so impactful to the Kingdom!!! Take care!! Can't wait to follow you and your journeys!!