Friday, June 17

Getting Started

(First of all let me start by saying that I wish I could transport smells through this blog b/c there is some oatmeal cake baking here and it smells heavenly!! I can't wait for Cafe da Tarde (afternoon coffee)!)

I've gotten several emails from people asking how things are going and asking some questions so I thought it was time to do a blog update!

My first week of so here has been full of relaxing and getting used to the fact that this is my new home. That fact still has not fully sunk in yet....and I'm not sure it will for a while. I'm currently living with Lucas and Teresa Bair, missionaries from Iowa and my ministry partners, until my apartment is ready for me to move in to. I'm not sure how long I will be here with them but it's been a great place of transition for me and I'm so grateful for their sacrifice and desire to do whatever they can to make me feel so at home here. It feels a bit weird to say that as I've had such a great love for the people of this country for a long time now and couldn't wait to make this my home. But it's been a harder transition than I imagined it would be. It's a very different feeling and /or mindset moving here versus all the times I've come to visit. And, to be honest, it continues to bring moments of panic and doubt. BUT! I cling to the overwhelming peace I have that this is where God has called me to be. This morning as I was reading my Bible I was reminded of Psalm 138:8 which says, "The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hands." I have seen the Lord at work in my life throughout this journey. And I have no doubt that this verse will hold true in my moments of panic and doubt. 

This week we traveled to the Federal Police in the neighboring city of Porto Alegre. I had 30 days to register with them after my arrival in Brazil and I can say that I am now "official" in this country! And I have the documents to prove it! I now have to carry these documents with me at all times as I will be asked to see them whenever I purchase certain things. I'm still not totally sure how it all works but I'm sure I'll soon find out!

On Wednesday of next week we have a meeting with my Portuguese grammar teacher and when my classes are set up I'll let you know so you can start praying for those! I'm able to use some of my Portuguese now but it's so very difficult to follow conversations or to understand what people say to me. So I'm a bit anxious to begin official language learning.

Yesterday I craved a hot dog. A hot dog! Of all things. I'm convinced that I crave some things I didn't eat very much in the states simply b/c they are not readily available here. Like chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter. I didn't eat much of either of these in the states but now that I can't readily have them I want them. It's a good thing that hot dogs ARE readily available here and there is a hot dog restaurant just down the street!

Meals here are a bit different. Breakfast usually consists of coffee and breads, jellies, maybe ham and cheese. Lunch is the big meal here. Some kind of chicken or beef type dish, rice, beans, salad. Then around late afternoon (our normal dinner time) they have Cafe da Tarde (afternoon coffee) which is similar to breakfast but instead of bread you might have pastries or a cake of some sort. If they eat "dinner" it's later in the evening. For a bread lover like me it's a great set up! Not so much for my jeans...

I've gotten to go to the ladies bible study the last two Wednesday nights. I really enjoy that and getting to spend that time with the women. Tonight we are having a joint service at a nearby soccer field with a visiting speaker from Jamaica and tomorrow I will spend the afternoon and evening with a Brazilian friend. Church here is on Sunday night and this week I might play the bass. I still haven't decided if I want to jump right into that yet.

All in all it's been a great start! And every day I feel more at home here. I still miss home - especially now as my dad is having some health issues that will require some kind of procedure/surgery next week. I'd appreciate your prayers for that...

Thanks for all the emails and Skype dates and chats! I love feeling connected to what's going on at home through all of you! Those connections really do melt away the miles.

No comments: